Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use these links to make a purchase.
Have you ever been on a scavenger hunt? It’s a great outdoor activity for children (and adults) of all ages. You can have a scavenger hunt when camping, hiking, walking, or even at the local park. Played with competing teams or as a single group it’s a wonderful way to fine-tune observational skills and connect with your surroundings.
Photographic Scavenger Hunt
Using a camera (either a traditional camera or smartphone) widens the scope of items that can be included (e.g. clouds in the sky, or reflections on the water). Objects remain in their natural environment, and not having to find homes for the various rocks, leaves, sticks, and insects that children collect and insist on keeping is an added bonus.
Pictures that are taken from a child’s perspective are always interesting. It’s fun to view the photos afterwards and hear about why they included certain objects. As an additional activity, you can make a photo book of the pictures when you get home.
Need a child-friendly camera? Here are some great options:
- Take high quality 5 megapixel photos and videos of you and your friends with this dual lens camera
- Switch between the two lenses with the dedicated switching button
- Apply fun effects, stamps and frames to your photos and videos
- Features include 4X digital zoom, games, voice recorder, wacky photo shaker, photo editor and more
- Include a large 2.4 Inch colour LCD screen
- PERFECT FIRST CAMERA: This children's camera is ideal as your kid's first camera, so they can start creating memories by themselves or with their friends. A great toy to enhance their creativity
- DESIGNED FOR KIDS: With a 5 megapixel lens, this toy camera takes high quality photos and videos. Your kid can even edit photos or apply funny effects on videos whilst using their creativity to achieve their desired result
- A CREATIVE TODDLER CAMERA : Your kid will be the director with this toy. With the movie recording and voice recording effects, your little one is in for hours of fun behind the camera
- GREAT FEATURES: With front and rear facing cameras, this toy offers several features to your kid. Through learning games, photo editing and applying fun effects, your little one will enjoy this new best friend
- IDEAL GIFT FOR BOYS & GIRLS AGED 3+: This kids camera is suitable for kids aged 3+ to learn and develop their creativity while having heaps of fun!
- 【Great Gift for Kids】The kids video camera is an ideal digital camera as a birthday gift for your children during 3-12 years, with dual camera image sensor, featuring professional HD 1080P videos and 13000 photos,selfie is available. It makes children exercise more imagination in use and experience the fun of nature.
- 【3.5 Inches Screen Display】Compared with other child camera, this child camera has a 3.5 inches screen, making it easier for your kids to take pictures and videos and check picture quality.
- 【32G and 600mAH】This pink children camera comes with a 32G micro SD card, which can store 13000 pictures. The built-in 600mAH battery allows convenient portable use for about 3 hours. Your little photographers can begin to capture the world around them and catch the steps of their growth in unforgettable memory.
- 【Shockproof Material】This mini digital camera with environment-friendly non-toxic materials, hold this camera in hands easily and tightly with ABS handles. Drop-resistant and durable with firm structure, small and light with lanyard, easy to carry. Your children can easily take photo and record video.
- 【100% Satisfaction Guarantee】You are protected by our 100% Hassle Free Satisfaction and 90 Days Money Back Guarantee! There is no risk to try. 24-hour customer services, we are always here for you if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Set some rules
If you are playing in teams, establish some ground rules before setting off. Adapt them to suit your circumstances, but be sure to include rules relating to safety, such as which areas are out of bounds, and making sure everyone in the team sticks together. Also, set a time limit and an end meeting point if groups are going off in different directions.
A fun rule could be that at least one photo must include everyone in the group (a creative ‘team selfie’).
Photographic Scavenger Hunt ideas
Below are three themes and ideas for a photographic scavenger hunt. Use these ideas, or adapt them to suit your own family or group.
Would you like to download a copy of this scavenger hunt? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get instant access to this, along with checklists, templates, and other resources to help you plan your next camping trip, feel organised, and enjoy the great outdoors.
Looking for more outdoor scavenger hunt ideas? Here are some great games to take anywhere:
- A natural outdoor treasure hunt
- Fun game for all the family
- A perfect companion to any outdoor trip, fits easily into a pocket
- Great at encouraging sensory outdoor discovery
- Game can last from 2 mins to the whole day
- Acid and toxic free
- Suitable for scrapbooking projects
- Made in USA
- Designed for easy usage and storage
- Card 'N' Go Seek game delivers get-out-of-your-seat scavenger hunt fun for the whole family!
- Each card describes a type of item that players must find and retrieve. The first player to get back with the correct thing wins the matching card!
- The first player to win one card of each color OR three cards of the same color wins the game!
- Every new environment invites new ways to play - the world is your game!
- Includes 150 cards, portable plastic case and instructions. Recommended for ages 7+ ( Requires at least 2 players)
Last update on 2019-08-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API