Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use these links to make a purchase.
Have you ever been on a scavenger hunt? It’s a great outdoor activity for children (and adults) of all ages. You can have a scavenger hunt when camping, hiking, walking, or even at the local park. Played with competing teams or as a single group it’s a wonderful way to fine-tune observational skills and connect with your surroundings.
Photographic Scavenger Hunt
Using a camera (either a traditional camera or smartphone) widens the scope of items that can be included (e.g. clouds in the sky, or reflections on the water). Objects remain in their natural environment, and not having to find homes for the various rocks, leaves, sticks, and insects that children collect and insist on keeping is an added bonus.
Pictures that are taken from a child’s perspective are always interesting. It’s fun to view the photos afterwards and hear about why they included certain objects. As an additional activity, you can make a photo book of the pictures when you get home.
Need a child-friendly camera? Here are some great options:
- Take high quality 5 megapixel photos and videos of you and your friends with this dual lens camera.
- Switch between the two lenses with the dedicated switching button.
- Apply fun effects, stamps and frames to your photos and videos.
- Features include 4X digital zoom, games, voice recorder, wacky photo shaker, photo editor and more.
- Include a large 2.4" colour LCD screen.
- Great Gift for Kids:This camera is high resolution digital underwater camera for kids. 3-meter waterproof, full-color, 12-megapixel images, 1080P HD Video with audio record, 4 times digital zoom, ideal gift for your kids outdoor fun.
- 3M High quality waterproof:3 meters (9.8 ft) waterproof design, baby can take brilliant pictures and record HD-quality videos while snorkeling, camping, swimming, diving and beaching.Summer Gift
- 12MP Photo and 720P Videos: --- 4X Digital Zoom,2.0 TFT LCD Display,external flash light can take high quality photos and videos(with voice) by day and at night. Our kids camera include with a free 8GB Memory card.Your happy moments can be saved forever.
- 2.0inch TFT:2.0inch TFT high definition screen for easy viewing and photo editing.USB connectivity for easy downloading your kids creations to your computer.
- Professional services:We promise 1-year replacement and refund warranty with dedicated customer service and professional technical support
- 【Perfect Birthday and Holiday Gift for Children】: Develop intelligence, encourages creative and independent personality and hand-eye-coordination. Perfect present for birthday , holidays , Christmas and any other special occasions.
- 【3.0 Mega pixels and 720P HD video】: Greatly improved the photos definition compared with other children cameras on the market. The toy video camera can take up to 1208 x720 Video
- 【Multiple functions】: This digital camera equipped with built-in microphone, auto flash light, 2.0'' color LCD screen, supports photo capture, video recording and playback. Let your kids save their precious experiences with this little camera.Addition, it also increase self-timer.
- 【Safe Silicone and shockproof material】: Use the eco-friendly Soft Silicone non-toxic material, Protective shockproof Shell, durable and safe for kids, provide them a comfortable way to take photo or record video with the child camera.
- 【Creative Photo Frames】: Equipped with 6 interesting photo frames, this digital camera can attract kids'attention and increase their interest in taking photos and videos. They will have a wonderful journey of exploring the surrounding world.
Set some rules
If you are playing in teams, establish some ground rules before setting off. Adapt them to suit your circumstances, but be sure to include rules relating to safety, such as which areas are out of bounds, and making sure everyone in the team sticks together. Also, set a time limit and an end meeting point if groups are going off in different directions.
A fun rule could be that at least one photo must include everyone in the group (a creative ‘team selfie’).
Photographic Scavenger Hunt ideas
Below are three themes and ideas for a photographic scavenger hunt. Use these ideas, or adapt them to suit your own family or group.
Would you like to download a copy of this scavenger hunt? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get instant access to this, along with checklists, templates, and other resources to help you plan your next camping trip, feel organised, and enjoy the great outdoors.
Looking for more outdoor scavenger hunt ideas? Here are some great games to take anywhere:
- A natural outdoor treasure hunt
- Fun game for all the family
- A perfect companion to any outdoor trip, fits easily into a pocket
- Great at encouraging sensory outdoor discovery
- Game can last from 2 mins to the whole day
- Acid and toxic free
- Suitable for scrapbooking projects
- Made in USA
- Designed for easy usage and storage
- Card 'N' Go Seek game delivers get-out-of-your-seat scavenger hunt fun for the whole family!
- Each card describes a type of item that players must find and retrieve. The first player to get back with the correct thing wins the matching card!
- The first player to win one card of each color OR three cards of the same color wins the game!
- Every new environment invites new ways to play - the world is your game!
- Includes 150 cards, portable plastic case and instructions. Recommended for ages 7+ ( Requires at least 2 players)
Last update on 2019-06-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API